Search & Win

Too much TV

>> Thursday, November 19, 2009

Is your TV on right now? I bet if you are at home there is a good chance your TV is on, even though you are on the computer. I know this because my TV is on right now even though no one is really watching it. I believe there is not enough communication in families these days, many times because the TV has our attention.

Don't get me wrong. I do watch TV. There are some shows that I watch with my husband every week and I enjoy that time with him. However, having the TV on constantly when you are at home is not a good habit to have. It is too much of a distraction. There has to be balance in this area, which I am still working on.

If a family's eyes are always on the screen, then there is no focus on one another. I have begun to purposely make sure that I am turning the TV off and sitting down with Jazlyn to just talk with her. If you never give your family your complete attention then you will not find out what is truly on their hearts and what is going on in their minds.

On another note, this was the conversation my daughter and I had this morning.

Me: "What movie are going to watch?"
Jazlyn: "It is not a movie."
Me: "Yes that is a movie. What movie is it?"
Jazlyn: "Mommy, it is a video tape, not a movie."

It was a VHS tape instead of a DVD. I tried to explain to her that they are both movies, but she was not hearing it.

~Melissa

2 comments:

Becky November 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Good idea Melissa - we may just try and implement some no TV time during the week after we get home. I like to have it on for background noise, but you are right it is a distraction.

sharon November 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

A bad habit is watching TV during dinner! It really takes away from the time for conversation!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP