Search & Win

God's Friend

>> Thursday, April 22, 2010

I mentioned being out of town this past weekend. We visited my mother-in-law in Atlanta. While there, we went to her church on Sunday. The message was about friendship. He was mainly talking about friendship in regards to marriage. The text came from Song of Solomon (which I recommend you read if you never have, or if you have, read it again. Can I put this much in parentheses?). What I got out of the message, however, was a little different. God used that man to inform me where our relationship stands (with God, not the man). Ouch. It hurt.

I thought I had it all together. I pray. I read my Bible. I go to church every week. All the right things can be done, but if the motive for doing those things is not right, then they are done in vain. I honestly didn't realize my motives weren't right.

I was doing all of these things so that I can please God, so that He will be happy with me and give me a good life. I often picture God sitting in heaven waiting for me to mess up so that He can strike me down with lightning. You can laugh at me, but I am just being honest.

I learned that although we should have a reverential fear and respect for God, He really just wants to be our friend. When someone is your friend, you spend time with them because you like to be around them, not because of what they can do for you. And you don't hang out because you are scared of what will happen if you don't, unless you are in the mob.

So I am on a mission to make God my best friend. I'm going to pray and do all of the right things, and not because it is what I am supposed to do or because of what it can get me. I'm going to do the right things so that I can enjoy my friend.

Is God your friend? If not, you should make Him your friend. He's super cool.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Becky April 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM  

Melissa -n- God <-----BFFs

:)

Knittingknutty April 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

You know I follow both of these trains of thought. Your old one and your new one. It takes practice to be the second one. It's a constant battle for me to be God's friend. But when I remind myself I am always with him it makes decisions easier because I always say...would I do this if I was with a friend that walks on earth. I hope I made some sense. I really enjoy reading your blog has put things in perspective for me lots. Isn't it funny how God does speak to us through so many different ways.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP