Search & Win

What do you value?

>> Wednesday, February 17, 2010

When I took Jazlyn to dance the other day I noticed this little boy in her dance class (yes she has a boy in her dance class) while we were waiting for her class to start. We will call him Sam. Sam was reading while we were waiting. They were small words, but he was still reading. Everyone in her dance class is about four or five. Sam looks four.

Some would look at Sam and think poor kid. Sam isn't always dressed in the nicest clothes and his hair isn't always the neatest. Sam's family looks like they're not the richest. One thing I have noticed about Sam though is that he is very well behaved. When his mom asks him to do something, he does it. He doesn't run around the waiting room with his mom having to get onto him every two seconds. Someone has spent time with Sam teaching him how to behave. And come on, the kid can read. Someone has had to spend a lot of time with the boy for him to be able to read at four. I know some kids are just naturally hyper (Jazlyn), but we all know that you can tell the kids who have not had any boundaries put into their lives. These misbehaving kids are sometimes dressed in the best clothes with the freshest haircuts.

It's all about what we value when it comes to our kids. Some value the way their kids look. Some value the way their kids behave. Some parents consider their children's education to be most important. Some parents value their kids' spirituality. What we value as adults trickles down to what we value in our kids. Whether we value money, family, intellect, or spirituality, that value will be evident in our children.

I'm reevaluating what is important in my life and how those values are effecting my children. What do you value?
Photobucket

4 comments:

Momof3inVA February 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

While I believe narcicism can be created in any environment, it is typically found in those coming from affluent homes...while it can also be found in lower income homes, it is mouch more uncommon...

Usually, this is because parents with means often spend much more time at work and socializing, away from their children...while lower income families tend to spend more time together doing things they can afford (uaually within the home).

Is this always the case? No, of course not, but it is quite common (at least according to my social-psych class I took in college it is).

We are middle class and I like to think we value the non-tangible things in life more than those that are tangible. ;)

Great post!

Traci Michele February 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

WOW! I'm so glad I found your blog, and this post. It is so true, and you wrote it perfectly.

For me, I value true spirituality. Lived out before my children. But that requires me, to be living in obedience to my Father.

Talk about humbling as parents! I believe, that if I am striving to be obedient, and live a holy life before God, it will naturally come across in how I talk to my children, how much time I invest in them, how I teach them, etc.

Still pondering.... still loving this post!

Thank you,
Traci

Anonymous,  February 17, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

Great post and so true! What do I value? I definitely put a lot of worth into my children's educational needs and their love for each other and us. We also work daily on "giving with a happy heart." I want them to know from the start that it is important to help those in need, whether that be giving material things, giving their time, or giving their services. I want to raise children who become good adults.

Anonymous,  February 18, 2010 at 6:57 PM  

GREAT post. Your family is beautiful :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP