Search & Win

New Year's Eve

>> Thursday, December 31, 2009

It is New Year's Eve. Want to know what I am doing tonight? I am staying home with my two kids (the hubby is at work). Want to know what I think about that? I am quite happy about it.

Any time there is a big "party" night, I can't help but to think about how much my life has changed in the past few years. The way my life is today is nothing like they way I had it planned out. My life is proof that our plans are not always God's plans.

Years ago I was a college student, living the college student life. I spent more time than I should have partying and staying up too late, but I was a college student, so what else did I have to worry about? I had my life planned out. I was getting my degree in accounting because that was a degree that I could use anywhere. As soon as I graduated I was getting away from my boring hometown. I had my mind made up that I probably wouldn't marry until I was well beyond thirty, because I had a life to live before I settled down. Once I did settle down, I knew that in our family both parents would work. I didn't want to be stuck in a house all day. Who would want to live that type of life? I also wouldn't have to learn to cook. Why learn to cook when the big city I was going to live in would have wonderful take out?

Then just a few months before I graduated from college, I met my husband. It wasn't a "he swept me off my feet" romance. No, I just felt myself wanting to be honest with him about everything, which wasn't like me. Every time we broke up (yeah, we had issues in the beginning) I just had to have him back in my life, which also wasn't like me. Then God found and changed both of us. By the next year we were married. So much for waiting for thirty.

Fast forward to today. I am still not thirty, and I am the stay at home mom that I vowed I would never become. I like to cook, although I am still learning when it comes to that department. I'm thankful that I have a husband who doesn't mind being my taste tester. I enjoy my life. I like being here for my kids everyday. I like making sure my family is fed and has clean clothes to wear. I like being able to spend quality time with them everyday. I like getting to witness all of the silly things they do and say, even if the silliness does come with whining sometimes.

So as I sit here on New Year's Eve, just my two kids and me, I am thankful that I am content to sit here on New Year's Eve, just my two kids and me. As many others are getting ready to bring in the New Year with a party, I will be at home folding clothes, playing with my new toys....I mean my kids' new toys, and making sure that my house is the home that my family deserves. My life is not anything like I planned for it to be, but my life is the way it is supposed to be, which is much better than I planned. I thank God that He made me realize that this type of life isn't so bad after all.

Happy New Year!

~Melissa

2 comments:

sharon January 1, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

And we are go proud of what you have become!! Of course Jazzy and Isaiah are a great bonus too! LOL

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP