Search & Win

Selfish

>> Thursday, January 14, 2010

I just discovered something about myself last week. I am was selfish. I've kind of always known this, but I've just now acknowledged it. In Dr. Phil's words (love me some Dr. Phil!), you can't change what you don't acknowledge. This selfishness has always been talking to me in the back of my mind, but I never wanted to really admit it, because then I would have to do something about it.

Last week I heard someone say something along these lines. God will not let you be happy if you are not doing what He wants you to do. When I heard that, it hit home. Hard. I know that little voice in the back of my mind about me being selfish has been God talking to me. I have been choosing to ignore Him. I haven't been too happy here lately. Think that is a coincidence? Not a chance.

I'm the most important so whatever I want I should get, right? WRONG.

My poor husband can easily tell you that I nag used to nag him. A lot. I finally realized the nagging was coming because of my selfishness. So I've been not giving in to my selfish ways. Instead of nagging him about what I think he should do all the time, I've been focusing on what I can do to make his life easier. It hasn't been easy, but it is getting easier. If I think he should spend time with me instead doing something else, instead of nagging him about it, I give him a sweet smile and ask if there is anything I can get for him. I've acutally been happier not getting my way. I've been doing what God wants me to do, so He has been keeping me satisfied and joyful.

I quit acting selfish. Life has been good. Everyone is happy. Coincidence? Not a chance.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Margaret January 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

Being selfish is something that I need to work on as well.

Gucci Mama January 14, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

I quite appreciate your command of the strike-through. Nice work.

Alexis January 14, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

Hi, Melissa!! Thanks for visiting my blog!!

I had a similar revelation this week as well. I've been doing the Love Dare, and in it, the authors define selfishness as the opposite of love. So convicting!

Anyway thanks for hopping over. I've enjoyed my visit!!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP