Search & Win

Praying Like Breathing

>> Friday, January 29, 2010

My husband and I are reading a book right now called The Power of a Simple Prayer by Joyce Meyer. We have only read a couple chapters, but I have already seen a change in my life after implementing what we've read.

Ephesians 6:18 says to "pray always" and 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says to "pray without ceasing." I've known these verses for a long time but I have never truly put them into practice. I've always had the mindset that I don't have enough time to pray all day. I've learned from this book just how powerful a simple prayer is (hence the name of the book). Prayer is not only effective if a person is on his/her knees with his/her eyes closed spending at least fifteen minutes in prayer. This season in my life that is usually not possible anyway. A person can say an effective five word prayer  while standing with his/her eyes wide open. God looks at the heart of the one praying. When we speak from the heart, whether it is fifteen or five thousand words, God hears us. 

Instead of waiting to pray when I have time, I have been spending my whole day praying. While I am making the kids' breakfast I thank God for another day with my family. As I go throughout the rest of the day, while folding laundry, picking up toys, etc., I let God know that I am dependant on Him to be a good wife and a good mother and I am constantly thanking Him and asking Him for help as I go from one task to another. Just a simple I love you Lord means a lot more to Him than I think we realize.

The whole atmosphere in my house has changed since I began saying these short simple prayers all day. I've been getting more accomplished than before. I believe that keeping this constant communication with God makes me more sensitive His promptings, letting me know what I should or should not do as I go throughout the day.

If you are constantly struggling just to make it through the day everyday, try this. It works.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Caroline January 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

What a great post !!!! Pray changes lots.
Caroline

drea February 2, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

Found you through blogfrog...

Love this post. I'm going to have to check out the book, thanks for sharing.

drea

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP